Art Library (Kunstbibliothek)
Part of Berlin’s massive Kulturforum, the library is surrounded by a number of cultural complexes. Many visitors combine it with a trip with the Modern Art Museum or the Musical Instrument Museum. Visitors can purchase the Berlin Pass to gain free entry to the library along with 50 other attractions in Berlin.
Things to Know Before You Go
The Art Library is a must-visit for art lovers and graphic designers.
The entire museum is fully wheelchair accessible, including elevators and parking areas.
The Kunstbibliothek also offers an on-site restaurant and museum shop, neither of which require admission tickets.
How to Get There
The Art Library is located at Matthaikirchplatz 6, adjacent to Potsdamer Platz. Visitors can take city bus M48 to the Potsdamer Brucke stop or bus 200 to the Philharmonie stop to access the Kunstbibliothek as well as the Kulturforum. The closest underground stations are U-Potsdamer Platz and U-Mendelssohn-Bartholdy-Park, both about a 10-minute walk from the library.
When to Get There
Visitors generally spend four hours exploring the contents of the Kunstbibliothek. For the most contemplative experience, it’s best to visit the Art Library in the early morning when there are fewer visitors. Note that on Mondays, the library is open for research only.
The Costume Library
Among the many collections of the Art Library, one that stands out is the Lipperheide Costume Library which holds the world’s largest collection of images on the history of clothing and fashion. It is comprised of thousands of pieces of magazines, drawings, photos, and paintings of clothing stretching as far back as the 16th century.
- Things to do in Potsdam
- Things to do in Rostock
- Things to do in Poznan
- Things to do in Hamburg
- Things to do in Karlovy Vary
- Things to do in Prague
- Things to do in Wroclaw
- Things to do in Copenhagen
- Things to do in Nuremberg
- Things to do in Gdansk
- Things to do in Frankfurt
- Things to do in Munich
- Things to do in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
- Things to do in Northern Germany
- Things to do in Bohemia
- Gemälde Gallery (Gemaeldegalerie)
- Museum of Decorative Arts (Kunstgewerbemuseum)
- New National Gallery (Neue Nationalgalerie)
- Berlin Philharmonic Hall (Berliner Philharmonie)
- German-Russian Museum Berlin-Karlshorst
- MACHmit! Museum for Children (Kindermuseum MachtMit)
- Berlin Musical Instrument Museum (Musikinstrumenten-Museum)
- Potsdamer Platz
- Legoland Discovery Centre Berlin
- Wintergarten Berlin
- Schwules Museum (Gay Museum)
- GDR Watch Tower (DDR-Wachturm)
- Bauhaus Archive Museum of Design (Bauhaus-Archiv Museum für Gestaltung)