The beach town of Penarth draws thousands of visitors a year to its beaches and marina. Get a feel for the town by taking part in a guided walking tour and learn about its former history as a major coal exporting port. You can also take a boat ride along the bay from the marina. The recently refurbished art-deco pier makes a great place to stroll at sunset; the pavilion on the pier houses a cinema with regular movie showings, gallery space, a café, and a restaurant.
Things to Know Before You Go
Penarth is ideal for anyone looking for a lovely seaside escape from busy Cardiff.
Don’t leave Penarth without trying an ice-cream sundae—the town has several popular ice cream parlors.
The pier is accessible to wheelchairs and strollers.
How to Get There
Penarth is just 4 miles (6.4 kilometers) southwest of Cardiff city center. If driving, take the M4 to the A4232. Local trains connect Penarth station to Cardiff Central, and the number 92 bus also travels between the two.
When to Get There
Penarth is most popular in the summer months, when the weather is best and the beaches and ice cream shops fill up. If visiting off-season some stores may be closed, but a walk along the beach is pleasant at any time of year.
Within Cardiff city limits, the small town of Llandaff is also a city in its own right, thanks to its impressive 12th-century cathedral. Tour the cathedral to see the beautiful triptych painted by pre-Raphaelite artist Dante Gabriel Rossetti and the sculpture of Christ by Jacob Epstein.
- Things to do in Bristol
- Things to do in Oxford
- Things to do in Southampton
- Things to do in Birmingham
- Things to do in London
- Things to do in Horley
- Things to do in Liverpool
- Things to do in Manchester
- Things to do in Cornwall
- Things to do in Stansted Mountfitchet
- Things to do in Dublin
- Things to do in Belfast
- Things to do in South West England
- Things to do in South East England
- Things to do in North West England
- Norwegian Church Arts Centre
- Principality Stadium (Millennium Stadium)
- Cardiff Castle (Castell Caerdydd)
- Cardiff City Hall (Neuadd y Ddinas)
- National Museum Cardiff
- Bute Park and Arboretum
- Llandaff Cathedral
- Barry Island (Ynys y Barri)
- Caerphilly Castle (Castell Caerffili)
- Tintern Abbey
- Snowdonia National Park