One of the Lake District’s largest lakes at 6.4 km in length, Bassenthwaite Lake is best known for its abundant native wildlife, now preserved as part of the region’s only wetland nature reserve. Osprey, Grasshopper Warbler, Curlew, Greylag and Meadow Pipit are among the bird species that frequent the wetlands, while the lake is also one of two places in England to see the rare vendace fish.
As well as wildlife watching, Bassenthwaite Lake is a popular spot for sailing, canoeing and fishing (for which a license is required) and the surrounding valley has ample opportunities for hiking, including the popular peaks of Skiddaw, the Lord's Seat and Ullock Pike, all of which offer spectacular views over the lake.
Bassenthwaite Lake Tours
Should I book Bassenthwaite Lake tickets in advance?
How much does it cost to visit Bassenthwaite Lake 2021?
What's the best way to experience Bassenthwaite Lake?
- Stunning Lake District 6 Hour Tours!
- Full-Day Private Luxury Tour Of The Northern Lake District
- Private Tour: Ultimate Full Day Scenic Tour visiting 10 Lakes
- Ten Lakes of the Lake District: Full Day, Private Tour for 4
Things to do near Lake District
- Things to do in Keswick
- Things to do in North West England
- Things to do in North East England
- Things to do in Yorkshire
- Things to do in Newcastle-upon-Tyne
- Things to do in Middlesbrough
- Things to do in Liverpool
- Things to do in Manchester
- Things to do in York
- Things to do in Northeast Scotland
- Things to do in East of England
- Things to do in The Scottish Highlands
- Things to do in South East Ireland
- Things to do in South East England
- Things to do in South West England