Lake District wouldn’t be the same without its important literary heritage. The glorious scenery over both Grasmere and Windermere lakes certainly provides an inspiring environment for writers from all over England. Such was the case for poet William Wordsworth, who lived in Rydal Mount with his family for the greater part of his life, from 1813 until his death in 1850. This house is where he revised much of his earlier works and penned the final version of his celebrated poem “I Wandered Lonely As a Cloud,” commonly known as “Daffodils.”
The house, which belongs to the poet’s direct descendants, is now open to the public. It retains a strong lived-in, family atmosphere that is typical of English cottages. The Tudor-style cottage retains its original flagged flooring and oak beams, which contrast nicely with the modern additions of the mid 1700s, such as the drawing room and the library.
Wordsworth’s print is omnipresent throughout the property; a keen landscaper in his free time, he designed the layout of the 4-acre (1.6-hectare) garden himself, saying that the luscious grounds and the writing hut he built were his informal office. Additionally, first editions of his writings and portraits and knick-knacks of his can be found inside the house.
Rydal Mount Tours
Lakeland Poets: Wordsworth and his circle at Dove Cottage, Grasmere and Rydal Mount - Full Day All-inclusive Tour
What are Rydal Mount hours of operation?
Should I book Rydal Mount tickets in advance?
How much does it cost to visit Rydal Mount 2021?
What's the best way to experience Rydal Mount?
- Private Tour: Lakeland Poets: Wordsworth and his circle - Full Day all-inclusive
- Full-Day Private Luxury Tour of the Central Lake District
- Lakeland Poets: Wordsworth and his circle at Dove Cottage, Grasmere and Rydal Mount - Full Day All-inclusive Tour
- William Wordsworth: Morning Half Day Tour with an Expert Guide
Things to do near Lake District
- Things to do in Keswick
- Things to do in North West England
- Things to do in North East England
- Things to do in Yorkshire
- Things to do in Newcastle-upon-Tyne
- Things to do in Middlesbrough
- Things to do in Liverpool
- Things to do in Manchester
- Things to do in York
- Things to do in Northeast Scotland
- Things to do in East of England
- Things to do in The Scottish Highlands
- Things to do in South East Ireland
- Things to do in South East England
- Things to do in South West England