Oslo Royal Palace (Kongelige Slott) Tours and Activities
Oslo’s Royal Palace was designed by architect Hans Linstow and built in the early 19th century for King Charles III, who reigned over a united Norway and Sweden. He died before work was completed on the vast Neo-classical edifice and it was his son Oscar I who finally moved into the palace in 1849. Today it is the official city residence of King Harald V and his wife Queen Sonja, and is open during the summer for guided tours of parts of its 173 palatial rooms.
A dozen of the palace’s ornate staterooms are included on the tour, including the Council Chamber, King Haakon VII Suite, Bird Room — delicately decorated with 40 species of bird — the Mirror Hall, Great Hall — where lavish balls still take place under dripping crystal chandeliers — and the Banqueting Hall.
The colorful Changing of the Guard ceremony takes place outside the palace daily at 1.30pm; it’s short in winter but in summer takes a full 40 minutes of pageantry, with the King’s Guards on horseback, bands, square bashing and parades along Karl Johans Gate.
The Royal Palace is surrounded by the manicured gardens of Slottsparken, also laid out by Hans Linstow. As well as lakes, leafy promenades and picnic spots, the park is dotted with statues of Norway’s great and good, including King Carl Johan and Queen Maud, mathematician Nils Henrik Abel and women’s rights defender Camilla Collett — the latter two both by Norwegian sculptor Gustav Vigeland, whose lifework can also be seen in Oslo’s Vigeland Park.
Tours and Activities to Experience Oslo Royal Palace (Kongelige Slott)
Frequently Asked Questions
- City Sightseeing Oslo Hop-On Hop-Off Bus Tour
- Oslo Shore Excursion: City Sightseeing Oslo Hop-On Hop-Off Bus Tour
- Small-Group Oslo Bike Tour: City Highlights
- 7 hours Private Limousine tour combined Oslo & Tyrifjord including "The Twist"
- Things to do in Stavanger
- Things to do in Streymoy
- Things to do in Stockholm
- Things to do in Copenhagen
- Things to do in Rostock
- Things to do in Hamburg
- Things to do in Gdansk
- Things to do in Tallinn
- Things to do in Helsinki
- Things to do in Leeuwarden
- Things to do in Kaliningrad
- Things to do in Berlin
- Things to do in Western Norway
- Things to do in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
- Things to do in Northern Germany