Palace of the Grand Dukes of Lithuania (National Museum)
Visitors to the palace can follow four self-guided-tour routes around the museum. The first route focuses on the history of the castle; the second route on the palace architecture through the ages, including a 3D virtual reality presentation; and the third route focuses on everyday life at the palace, including the royal collection of arms and armory. The fourth route visits a series of temporary national and international exhibitions.
Things to Know Before You Go
Tickets are available for each tour route, or you can purchase a combination ticket for all four; children under 7 get in free.
Plan at least two hours to explore all four tour routes.
There is a café and gift shop at the museum.
The palace and exhibitions are wheelchair-accessible.
How to Get There
The Palace of the Grand Dukes of Lithuania is located in the northeastern corner of Vilnius Old Town. It’s within easy walking distance of the central attractions—head in the direction of hilltop Gediminas Castle Tower.
When to Get There
The museum is open all year round, although opening hours vary throughout the year. From September to May, the museum is closed on Mondays. Travelers on a budget can visit all the exhibitions for free on the last Sunday of each month.
Historic Sites and Monuments of Vilnius Old Town
The Palace of the Grand Dukes of Lithuania is one of a number of notable landmarks within Vilnius’ Old Town, itself a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Pay a visit to Gediminas Castle Tower next door for a magnificent view over the city; stop by Cathedral Square to visit Vilnius Cathedral; and admire architectural landmarks such as St. Anne’s Church, the Presidential Palace, and the Gate of Dawn.
- Things to do in Minsk
- Things to do in Riga
- Things to do in Kaliningrad
- Things to do in Warsaw
- Things to do in Gdansk
- Things to do in Tallinn
- Things to do in Lviv
- Things to do in Kiev
- Things to do in Helsinki
- Things to do in Krakow
- Things to do in St Petersburg
- Things to do in Stockholm
- Things to do in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
- Things to do in Sloboda Ukraine region
- Things to do in Transylvania
- Vilnius Cathedral (Arkikatedra Bazilika)
- National Museum of Lithuania, New Arsenal
- Gediminas Castle Tower (Gedimino Pilies Bokstas)
- Presidential Palace
- Amber Museum-Gallery (Gintaro Muziejus-Galerija)
- Vilnius University (Vilniaus Universitetas)
- Money Museum (Pinigu Muziejaus)
- Bernardine Church (Bernardinu Parapija)
- St. Anne's Church
- Subacius Hill
- Gediminas Avenue (Gedimino Prospektas)
- Vilnil Museum of Illusions
- Bastion of the Vilnius Defensive Wall (Vilniaus Gynybines Sienos Basteja)
- Church of the Holy Spirit (Sventosios Dvasios Baznycia)