- See the Berlin Wall, the Palace of Tears (Traenenpalast), the Soviet Embassy and hidden areas of the Death Strip
- Learn about the military tension between the United States and its NATO allies and the Soviet Union and its allies
- Hear about the CIA, KGB and Stasi surveillance techniques
- Learn about daily life for Berlin's citizens during the Cold War
Departure & Return
Meeting point: outside FRIEDRICHSTRASSE TRAIN STATION, on the square beside the 'Traenenpalast' (Palace of Tears), Reichstagufer 17, 10117 Berlin. Our guide will be wearing a blue lanyard with a yellow name tag! If you still cannot see us, please call us at the office before the tour starts.
What To Expect
Discover this divided city and retrace the trail of the “death strip” and the Berlin Wall. Walk along Bernauer Strasse, the site of many remarkable escape attempts, and the remains of the wall at the Berlin Wall Memorial and Former Stasi (DDR secret police). Walk under the famous Brandenburg Gate, one of Berlin’s most important monuments. It was a symbol of division between Berlin and Germany during the war, but it’s now a national symbol of peace and unity.
Learn about the history of Berlin, from its founding to this divided city of the Cold War, and get a fascinating insight into what it meant to live in the German Democratic Republic, the Eastern Bloc’s most heavily policed state. Find out what it was like to live behind the Berlin Wall.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Please bring a Berlin Transport AB Zone ticket
- As a good amount of walking is involved, comfortable shoes are recommended
- Wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Transportation is wheelchair accessible
- Surfaces are wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers
- OPERATED BY Insider Tour Berlin
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands