Explore our promoted experiences
- Guided walking tour of Edinburgh’s Royal Mile, Edinburgh Castle and Old Town, part of a UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Wander down centuries-old cobblestone streets, passageways, and Edinburgh tenements
- See St. Giles Cathedral, High Street, Parliament Square, John Knox House, Lawnmarket, and Castlehill
- Upgrade to included skip-the-line access to Edinburgh Castle
Why Travelers Choose This Tour
Departure & Return
Mercat Cross, High St, Edinburgh EH1 1RF. Look for the 8 sided monument with white Unicorn on top. You will find a member of our visitor services team waiting here to check you in. They will be dressed in black, holding an iPad, wearing an orange lanyard & holding a black & orange umbrella.
Edinburgh Castle, Castlehill, Edinburgh, EH1 2NG.This tour ends at the Edinburgh Castle esplanade.
What To Expect
Follow medieval streets and alleys, and check out the protected Reformation-era constructions such as St. Giles Cathedral, often called the High Kirk of Edinburgh. Hear some of the site’s dramatic events like that of Protestant reformer Jenny Geddes, whose assault on a bishop indirectly led to the Wars on the Three Kingdoms. Stop in Parliament Square and at the famous John Knox House, a historic treasure that is one of the last original medieval buildings on the Royal Mile. Then continue on to Castlehill, where you enjoy sweeping views of the bustling city below.
Next, head to Edinburgh Castle, strategically perched upon the craggy hilltop of Castle Rock, where you have skip-the-line access to tour the building’s impressive interior, if you've selected this option. Learn about medieval life in the palace and the many bloody battles fought here such as the War of Independence in the 14th century. On a guided tour, explore grand buildings like the Royal Palace and Margaret’s Chapel, see the ancient Stone of Destiny, and soak up the glimmer of the Honours of Scotland’s – the UK’s oldest crown jewels.
Your excursion ends here in the afternoon.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Tours are guaranteed all year round, so please dress for the weather, with comfortable shoes.
- Wheelchair accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Please note: Edinburgh Castle will not admit visitors with bags larger than a 25litre capacity
- Please note that we cannot accept babies or children under the age of 5 on this tour.
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 18 travelers
- OPERATED BY Mercat Tours
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms