Don’t worry—here are some similar options
- Tour of the Degas House in New Orleans
- Explore the former home and art studio of French Impressionist artist Edgar Degas
- Learn intimate details about this historic home from your guide, Degas’ actual great-grandniece!
- See first-hand where Degas found inspiration for many of his greatest masterpieces
- Peruse the gift shop for unique Degas-inspired souvenirs
- Upgrade to enjoy a wonderful courtyard breakfast before your tour
Departure & Return
Departure Point: The Degas House, New Orleans Address: 2306 Esplanade Avenue Dates: Daily
Return DetailsReturns to original departure point
What To Expect
Upon arrival, you’ll be greeted by a congenial host – one of Degas’ great‐grandnieces who manage the historic site. Begin your tour with a short viewing of the documentary A Creole Sojourn, an award‐winning film that details Degas’ stay in New Orleans, a critical turning point in his life and work. Learn about Degas’ Creole relations and the 18 paintings that he supposedly created in the house. Then take a more informed tour of the property that is listed in the French National Order of Arts and Letters and the National Register of Historic Places.
Your art historian guide will lead you through the property’s principal houses that now serve as a museum and a bed and breakfast. Learn intimate information about Degas life and work, appreciate immaculate period artifacts and furnishings, and see the settings that inspired Degas’ portrayals of Louisiana – the only scenes of 19th century American life depicted by an impressionist artist.New Orleans Museum of Modern ArtAdd this upgrade your guide will escort you to the New Orleans Museum of Art following your house tour. There, you’ll have a chance to see more stunning work by Degas among the museum’s remarkable 40,000‐piece collection.
Courtyard BreakfastSelect this add‐on and arrive by 9am for an intimate courtyard breakfast before your morning tour. Soak up the distinctive beauty of the space as you enjoy a made‐to‐order meal featuring French waffles with fresh fruit, Creole Omelets, and French toast topped with caramelized bananas paired with a complimentary Bloody Mary or Mimosa.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- A moderate amount of walking is involved; comfortable shoes are recommended
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 9 travelers
- OPERATED BY Degas House, LLC
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
Learn more about cancellations.