6 hours (Approx.)
Hotel pickup offered
Offered in: English
Explore our promoted experiences
Delve into the history of slavery and the plantations of Louisiana on this small-group tour from New Orleans. Drive past Lake Pontchartrain and the Mississippi River to the Whitney Plantation’s Louisiana Museum of Slavery. Learn about the lives of the enslaved people who worked there and on plantations throughout the South during a tour of the museum and restored buildings. Next, head to the Creole-style St Joseph Plantation for a tour of the working sugar plantation where the movie ’12 Years A Slave’ was filmed.
- Self-guided tour to the Louisiana Museum of Slavery on the Whitney Plantation and St Joseph Plantation, from New Orleans
- See authentically restored buildings and memorial artwork at the Louisiana Museum of Slavery
- Listen to slave narratives that detail daily life for slaves on the plantation
- Drive through the sugar cane fields of St Joseph Plantation, a working sugar plantation that dates to 1877
- Take a guided tour of St Joseph Plantation, often led by a member of the family that owns the property
- Learn about the making of the Oscar-winning film ’12 Years A Slave’ at St Joseph Plantation
- Hear informative commentary from your guide about the region during the drive from New Orleans
Saved to wishlist!
Hotel pickup and drop-off, with exact pick up time provided
Live commentary on board
This tour does NOT include a meal, Snacks and drinks available for purchase
Departure & Return
Departure PointTraveler pickup is offered
Please specify hotel at time of purchase. We pick up in New Orleans at any hotel, Bed & Breakfast or select Airbnbs, uptown (close to St. Charles Ave.), in (or close to) the French Quarter, and on the Westbank.
We do not pick up by the airport, in New Orleans East, in Slidell, or on the North Shore.
Supplier will contact you the day before your tour to give you an exact pick up time.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- On Tuesdays, Whitney Plantation is closed and replaced by Laura Plantation
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 13 travelers
- OPERATED BY Tours by Isabelle
You can cancel up to 24 hours in advance of the experience for a full refund.
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
Frequently Asked Questions
The answers provided below are based on answers previously given by the tour provider to customers’ questions.
What is the policy on face masks and attendee health during Small-Group Whitney Plantation, Museum of Slavery and St. Joseph Plantation Tour?
A:The policies on face masks and attendee health are:
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
What is the policy on sanitization during Small-Group Whitney Plantation, Museum of Slavery and St. Joseph Plantation Tour?
A:The policies on sanitization are:
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
What is the social distancing policy during Small-Group Whitney Plantation, Museum of Slavery and St. Joseph Plantation Tour?
A:The policy on social distancing is:
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
Compare Similar Experiences
Small-Group Whitney Plantation, Museum of Slavery and St. Joseph Plantation Tour
6 hours 30 minutes
7 hours 30 minutes
4 hours 30 minutes
3 hours 30 minutes
Explore Similar Things to Do
Bus ToursHistorical ToursPlantation ToursHalf-day ToursCultural & Theme ToursDay Trips & ExcursionsTours & SightseeingNew OrleansBus Tours - LouisianaHistorical Tours - LouisianaPlantation Tours - LouisianaHalf-day Tours - LouisianaBus Tours - Orange BeachHistorical Tours - Orange BeachPlantation Tours - Orange BeachHalf-day Tours - Orange BeachBus Tours - DestinHistorical Tours - DestinPlantation Tours - DestinHalf-day Tours - DestinCategory
Hard Rock Cafe New Orleans Tours & TicketsAudubon Butterfly Garden and Insectarium Tours & TicketsJackson Square Tours & TicketsLouisiana Children's Museum (LCM) Tours & TicketsSydney and Walda Besthoff Sculpture Garden Tours & TicketsConfederate Memorial Hall Museum Tours & TicketsSan Francisco Plantation Tours & TicketsJean Lafitte National Historical Park and Preserve Tours & TicketsSt. Joseph Plantation Tours & TicketsAudubon Aquarium of the Americas Tours & TicketsHoumas House Tours & TicketsAudubon Nature Institute Tours & TicketsLongue Vue House and Gardens Tours & TicketsFaubourg Marigny Tours & TicketsWhitney Plantation Museum Tours & TicketsLafayette Cemetery No. 1 Tours & TicketsMusical Legends Park Tours & TicketsAudubon Park Tours & TicketsCourt of Two Sisters Tours & TicketsBeauregard-Keyes House Tours & Tickets